Designed for students who have completed the required courses in the Paralegal Professional Certificate Program. Topics covered in this course include portfolio and writing sample creation. Students have the opportunity to get feedback on their resumes, participate in mock interviews and learn about additional resources, and job opportunities. This course provides students with the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge of ethics, legal principles, and the technical skills necessary for entry-level employment as a paralegal.
To be eligible to enroll in this course you must be an accepted Paralegal Certificate Candidate and have completed the 20 units of required courses for the certificate with a grade of "C" or higher in each course.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand and apply the rules and ethics that govern the legal profession in California.
- Demonstrate, through discussion, the communication and interpersonal skills necessary for the law office environment.
- Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of basic legal principles necessary for an entry-level position in a law office.
- Complete and submit legal documents as a professional paralegal, including professional formatting of a resume/cover letter for seeking employment in a law office.
REQUIRED TEXT: No textbook required
Certification Disclosure: In California an individual may qualify to hold one’s self out as a paralegal in one of several ways including earning a certificate of completion of a paralegal program approved by the American Bar Association. (Calif. Bus. & Prof. Code §6450(c)(1).) The Paralegal Professional Certificate program offered by UCSB PaCe satisfies the requirements of California law in this regard.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Paralegal Studies : Required Courses