REVISED for Fall 2018! The Technology Management Professional Certificate Program provides students with a solid foundation in business fundamentals as they apply to technology-oriented companies. Students gain an understanding of the wide range of concepts and principles that are key the start-up, growth, and ongoing operations of technology-driven companies. They have access to experienced professionals who are familiar with starting new businesses, running existing enterprises. Students will be able to directly apply knowledge they have gained from the program in order to operate effectively in a business environment or launch a new venture.
Program Course Schedule
Required Courses (18 units total):
- TMP 111. Issues in Technology, Business, and Society (F/W/Sp) – (1unit) must take the same course twice- a total of 2 units
- TMP 120. Fundamentals of Business Strategy (F/W/Sp/Su) - 4 units
- TMP 124. Principles of Marketing (F/W/Sp/Su) - 4 units
- TMP 127. Understanding and Managing Technology Organizations (F/W/Sp) - 4 units
- TMP X130F: Fundamentals of Business Finance (F/W/Sp) - 4 units
Courses are offered across 4 academic quarters: fall, winter, spring and summer. For more information visit the Approved Academic Calendar.
In order to earn this professional certificate, students must:
- Have upper division standing to begin the program (at least 95 units/junior standing).
- Complete a total of 18 units - 4 regular session UCSB courses (14 units) and 1 course (4units) through UCSB Professional and Continuing Education.
- Earn a B average or better in the courses required for the certificate, with no grades for any courses below a C letter grade.
- Enroll in the UCSB regular-session courses via Open University if they are non-matriculated (not UCSB students).
Transfer units are not be accepted as credit toward this certificate.
UCSB students seeking degree or unit credit for courses taken through UCSB Professional and Continuing Education must file a petition with the appropriate UCSB College prior to enrollment in the professional course. Units for TMP X130F may count toward graduation units, but the grade for this course does not count towards the overall GPA.
The program may be completed in as little as 3 quarters, but it may be more realistic to spread the coursework over two academic years.
Requirements for International Students:
- Internationals must be part of the International Programs. Apply to International Programs here.
- International participants must complete a minimum of 12 units each quarter (with max. 1 online course/quarter) in order to maintain an F-1 visa status. These units can be completed through professional courses and/or UCSB courses.
- More requirements are defined in the Program Course Schedule above
For UCSB matriculated students the approximate cost is $1,250. The TMPX130F professional course is $1100. The non-refundable certificate application fee is $150. These figures do not include the costs of textbooks and/or materials, and can change without notice.
Financial Aid: Current UCSB matriculated students, who are eligible for financial aid, are strongly encouraged to take a minimum of 12 units of regular undergraduate courses. The units offered for the X400 professional courses do not count toward that minimum.
For non-UCSB matriculated students the approximate cost of completion of this program is $5,240.
Program Costs for International Students:
Costs for international students can be seen here.