UCSB PaCE is monitoring the COVID19 Pandemic closely and working to ensure the safety of all of our students and staff. We will provide additional information on the summer programming as it become available; our intent is to continue this programming as scheduled.
All EMT Certification Courses are now being conducted as a blended classes with online lectures and in-person skills training/assessment in order to prepare students for full EMT certification.
Rigorous and thorough protective measures will be taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the program's students, faculty, and staff. These measures will include but not limited to:
- Abiding by the Santa Barbara County Health Officer’s Order 2020-8 Social Distancing Protocol
- Wearing of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all times
- Electronically recording daily temperature readouts
- Signed attestations disclosing possible exposure to COVID-19 and travel to COVID-19–impacted areas
This program is designed to give the student the skills and knowledge to function as a working Emergency Medical Technician at the basic level. The program is intended for those who want to gain employment as a firefighter, emergency care technician at a hospital and Ambulance driver or attendant. It is also for those individuals who are planning on attempting to obtain a higher level of medical training such as RN, PA or MD as an enhancement for the competitive application process for those professions. The course fulfills Title 22 Guidelines and State Health and Safety Code for EMT -B certification. Successful course completion required to take National Registry of EMTs Exam which is required for certification in any California county.
Students will also participate in 24 hours of supervised clinical observations in a local ER and/or ambulance ride-along.
Course features classroom lectures and extensive hands-on training including:
• Emergency patient care
• Basic human anatomy and physiology needed to perform a patient assessment
• Recognition of a patient in cardiac arrest
• CPR using an AED
• Identifying and managing OB-GYN emergencies
• Triage and transportation of patients in major disasters
This 178-hour course will be offered on weekday evenings and selected Saturdays over two 10-week quarters or a summer intensive over 9 weeks.
Summer 2020 Intensive (XLRN 815.EMT-007)*
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:30pm-9:30pm, July 21 – Sept 24, 2020 - Held online via Zoom
Saturdays OR Sundays, 9:00am - 5:00pm, Aug 1 – Sept 27, 2020 - Held in-person in UCSB's Kerr Hall, room 2166A.
See "Section Notes" in schedule on the right side.
Fall 2020 / Winter 2021 (XLRN 815.EMT-008)* Enrollment opens June 8, 2020
Thursdays 6:30-9:30pm (10/8/20-12/10/20 and 1/7/21-3/18/21) online via Zoom
Saturdays 9:00am-5:00pm (10/10, 10/24, 11/7, 11/21, 12/5, 1/16, 2/6, 2/20, 3/6, 3/13) In-person instruction on campus
*DATES SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE
EMT CPR Requirement
Per California Code of Regulations Title 22, EMT students must complete a CPR training equivalent to the current American Heart Association’s Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care at the Healthcare Provider level.
A qualifying course must:
- Provide training in “Basic Life Support/BLS”, or be designed "for Healthcare Professionals” or Professional Rescuers"
- Include care for adults, children and infants
- Be valid through the end of the EMT course
- Be completed BEFORE the start of the EMT course on 7/21/20.
Important: "Heart Saver" CPR Certification is NOT acceptable as these courses are designed for laypersons and not healthcare professionals.
Acceptable local CPR training is available at the following locations:
UCSB PaCE - UCSB Campus
American Red Cross - 2707 State St, Santa Barbara
Code 3 Life Support Education - 320 S Kellogg Ave, Ste e3, Goleta
Safety Matters Certified Training - 4141 State St, Santa Barbara
Glenda Mahon - EMT, Training Center Coordinator OVCH - (805) 340-6333 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Course Costs
In addition to course tuition, there are other required expenses necessary to successfully complete the EMT Certification Course.
Approximate EMT Course Costs:
• CPR Certification (Healthcare Provider) - $50 to $95 (if needed)
• Text, EMT Flipped Classroom - $282 (digital only) or $390 (hard copy and digital text)
• Student medical supplies - $70
• CastleBranch Subscription - $98 (includes: Background check, Drug test, Medical document manager etc.)
There may be additional charges based on test results/vaccine compliance.
PaCE Scholarships available! Apply Here.