BUSAD X432 - Negotiation and Influence Strategies
Negotiation is a skill that no one is born with. It is a social process that can be analyzed, understood, and modeled. Although people often think of boardrooms, suits, and million-dollar deals when they hear the word negotiation, the truth is that we negotiate all the time.
Through this course, students will be able to understand the basics of negotiations, the phases of negotiations, and the skills needed for successful negotiations. In addition, we will introduce the concept of strategic influence which in business is the ability to convince others in your department or company to implement your ideas. It is also the ability to convince other departments in your company to adopt the suggestions of your department or to influence other companies to take actions favorable to your company.
The most effective approaches to teaching negotiations integrate heightened self-awareness along with intellectual analysis, skill development, and critical self-evaluation. Students will develop strategies to set realistic but also optimistic goals and expectations, build positive relationships, adopt an inquisitive mindset to understand "the other’s" point-of-view and create leverage to maximize the value of outcomes.
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Define negotiation and strategic influence
- Understand how and why one strives for a “win-win” outcome
- Recognize the importance of preparation and data-backed insights knowledge prior to negotiation and strategic influence efforts
- Identify the ethics of negotiations and influence
- Examine how trust, human behavior, and psychology play important roles in successful negotiations and how to distinguish common negotiation mistakes
- Identify how gender and cultural differences can affect negotiations
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Business Administration : Elective Courses (Choose 1)
- Business Administration and Management : Leadership and Strategy Specialization: 2 Courses (8 units)
- Business Communication Badge : Digital Badge
- Business Leadership : Elective Courses (Choose 1)
- Talent Acquisition & Development Badge : Digital Badge