This course focuses on ensuring a strong, successful mentor: candidate relationship, supporting new teacher candidates currently enrolled in the Santa Barbara County Education Office Teacher Induction Program. Mentor participate in professional development in the area of coaching and new teacher support to facilitate growth
opportunities within the relevance and resources available within the local contexts of the new teachers' employment. Additionally, a broader scope of professional growth and proficiencies are supported in accordance with the California Standards for the Teaching Profession (CSTP). Mentors provide both immediate and long-term
professional support and guidance through the role and engagement with the induction program.
As a result of this course, students:
- Internalize an inquiry-based mindset for professional growth as it applies to new and experienced teachers.
- Support candidates in how to use educational research as a tool for improving their instructional practice.
- Continue to develop a repertoire of instructional strategies for maximizing student learning.
- Deepen an understanding of the vision of teaching in California, as well as professional roles and responsibilities according to the CSTP and the Continuum of Teaching Practice.
As a result of this course, mentors will learn how to coach, consult, and collaborate with beginning teachers and help them reflect critically on instructional practices aligned to the California Standards for the Teaching Profession. Mentor teachers will gain extensive experience in facilitating an individualized induction plan involving action research that utilizes formative assessment data.
- Possession of a Clear Credential and a minimum of three years of effective teaching experience
- Demonstrated commitment to professional learning, collaboration, and a positive attitude
- Ability, willingness, and flexibility to meet candidate needs for support
- Resourcefulness in meeting beginning teacher needs through support of inquiry and reflection
- Student-centered approach to professional practice
- Knowledge of the context and content area of the candidate’s teaching assignment
- A willingness to develop a coaching mindset through participation in mentor trainings
This course is offered in partnership with the Santa Barbara County Education Office (SBCEO). To enroll you must be part of the Santa Barbara County Teacher Induction Program. For any questions, please contact the Director, John Merritt. Phone: 805-964-4710, ext. 5248. Email: email@example.com.