Becoming a leader (both formally and informally) in the field of child life is crucial for the growth and expansion of the profession. This course will explore topics for advancing the profession of child life as well as the ethical responsibilities and considerations for emerging leaders within the field. Students will gain information on leadership styles, theories, and explore other relevant and vital topics such as diversity, inclusion, communication, feedback, change management, and clinical supervision techniques.
Course OutlineUpon completion of this course, students will gain a deeper understanding of themselves as emerging leaders and ways they can build upon and influence the profession of child life. Students will gain a strong understanding of the underlying theories of leadership and opportunities to contribute to a growing field. Utilizing case studies, observation and critical thinking will contribute to learning and discussion throughout the course.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of leadership theory as it applies to the field of child life.
- Identify current and past leaders in the field and their accomplishments
- Apply knowledge of leadership and mentoring to case studies, observations, and vignettes.
- Analyze the important role of diversity, equity, and inclusion for child life professionals
- Understand areas of potential growth and ways of contributing to the growing profession of child life
- Analyze and examine the self for leadership qualities and theoretical orientation
- Understand the potential leadership influences and applications child life specialists can have in hospital administration.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Child life assistants, child life interns or students, individuals interested in the field of child life, pediatric medical providers, classroom teachers working with children having chronic or life-threatening illnesses, and individuals wishing to study specific subjects without pursuing the certificate.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Child Life : Required 5 Courses