The purpose of supervision is to help students improve their behavior analytic skills. Supervisors will learn how to design, implement, and deliver high-quality behavior services to their clients. Supervisory duties include, but not limited to:
- Uploading video clips of working directly with clients twice a month prior to an individual supervision meeting
- Attending 4 supervision meetings online.
- Conducting behavior assessments under the direct supervision of the supervisor
- Developing behavior programs, datasets, and reports
Developing and communicating client plans and progress to supervisor in a timely manner
At the conclusion of the course participants will be able to:
- Define their supervised practical experience to apply for the BCBA exam
- Submit the appropriate supervision forms defined by the BACB experience standards
Supervision cannot be provided until proof of client(s) and employer consent for video observations.
To be accepted to enroll in this class, you need to submit the following three forms with your application:
Supervision Contract for Supervision through UCSB-Extension
Video Consent Form
Employer Consent Form
NOTE* There are TWO Consent Packets:
1. General professionals
2. Educators (i.e., teachers, school admins, school psychologists, etc.)
The Application for Candidacy must be completed and approved in order to enroll in Supervision Course XLRN 809A - Supervision Hours for ABA Program 5th Edition.
Initiate the collection of the signatures with DocuSign by clicking on the package!
We are using DocuSign - a digital signature app, to collect the signatures and complete the forms. Please, initiate the signature trail by clicking on the link and entering the names and the emails of your client(student) and the UCSB Instructor in the course's record. (Click on the instructor name of the course open for enrollment and will see the pop-up window with the email of the instructor)
Here are the 3 steps:
1. Initiate collection of the signatures by DocuSign by clicking on the package category that you belong:
ABA Supervision Packet_General Professionals
ABA Supervision Packet_Educators
(There are three parties: You as a Supervisee - UCSB PaCE ABA Program Student Signature; Supervisor - UCSB PaCE ABA Program Instructor Signature; Your case as an Employer/Client)
2. After collecting the signature, please go to the course ED X809A page and click the "APPLY" button - process application as you upload the 3 signed documents.
*** After completion, please download the documents below, complete them, attach them to your application, and submit them for approval.
3. Process enrollment - After your application is approved, you will be able to self-enroll in the class.
If you have previously started an application, you will need to access the 'My Applications' page in your student profile to upload the signed documents.
This Application for Candidacy must be completed and approved in order to enroll in Supervision Course XLRN 809A - Supervision Hours for ABA Program 4th or 5th Editions.
How many hours do I need to accrue to fulfill BACB’s Supervised Experience requirements?
Per BACB, students must accrue 2000 hours under the 5th edition. A minimum of 20 hours and a maximum of 130 hours may be accrued per month. At least 5% of the fieldwork hours must be supervised.
(The supervisee will accumulate the required minimum of 20 hours and maximum of 130 hours per month to meet the total of 1500 hours (4th edition) OR 2000 hours (5th edition) needed to complete the BCBA supervised independent fieldwork requirement approximately within three years.)
For more information about specific fieldwork criteria and examples of what would count as fieldwork hours as well as who qualifies as a supervisor, please visit:
*** Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the BACB has an exception during this period to waive observation with a client (i.e.,"As of March 1, and until further notice, we will temporarily waive the “observation with a client” sub-requirement for trainees who do not have in-person access to clients and, thus, are only accruing unrestricted hours. As always, all unrestricted activities must relate to a specific client’s needs.
***We can offer supervision hours that fulfill BACB's supervision requirements, but please check your State's licensure requirements. Some states require BCBAs to obtain a state license after obtaining your BCBA certification.