With digital devices dominating an ever-expanding informational environment, there has been a significant shift in the advertising and public relations industries.Knowing how to communicate effectively is essential to understanding how public relations is an ongoing communication and relational process, not a position. With a dual focus on its academic foundation and practical implementation, this course introduces students to the principles and practice of public relations and how they relate to marketing and advertising. Students learn how to utilize communication theories as they relate to public relations and advertising practice and how to define and discuss the importance of what constitutes ethical public relations practices.
Upon successful course completion, students should be able to:
- Define public relations and its areas of influence: brand management, advertising, crisis communications and media relations, public speaking, and social media engagement.
- Illustrate how to write effective press releases and advertising ads.
- Explain how to design and execute a public relations campaign for advertising purposes.
- Articulate the impact of Twitter, Facebook, and social media.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Digital Marketing : Elective Courses (4 units total)